University of Oregon

Historic Preservation Program

News

Nominees sought for George McMath Historic Preservation Award

The annual recognition honors an individual who has made significant contributions to preservation in Oregon-- Applications are available through December 15 to nominate an individual who has made significant contributions to historic preservation in Oregon.


Old Idaho Penitentiary in Boise is site of the 2010 UO preservation field school

Preserving significant Pacific Northwest buildings and using them as learning laboratories has been the focus of the past 15 years of work by the University of Oregon’s Pacific Northwest Field School. This year is no different. The 16th annual Pacific Northwest Field School will be held at the Old Idaho Penitentiary in Boise, Idaho, one of the several remaining territorial prisons in the American West. The field school is still accepting applications from interested students, architects, skilled trades workers, and those interested in preservation.


Historic Preservation and Architecture students participate in Croatia Summer Field School

A total of 11 students participated, 2 from University of Zagreb and 9 from the US (5 from U of O - 2 Architecture, 3 Historic Preservation). During the 4 week field school, students documented a 19th century stone schoolhouse, a 16th century stone village, and built a new roof on a 16th century house. In addition, the group studied many local sites, including three World Heritage sites, and contributed to the nomination of the Blaca Monastery as a new World Heritage site. At the end of the session, the student work was exhibited at an event attended by local politicians and representatives of the Ministry of Culture.  The local news media also covered the event in the newspaper and on television.


UO team aids preservation efforts in Virginia City, Montana

Digging into the history of one of the West’s most celebrated mining towns, Virginia City, Montana, UO students and faculty members laid the groundwork for research and documentation on African-American pioneers.  The focus of the six-month project is the Jack Taylor house and store, built in 1864.  From the 1860s until the 1920s these buildings were occupied by African-Americans who ran businesses in Virginia City.  Taylor owned the property around 1894 and worked as a miner, laborer, and teamster.  He also owned commercial property and homesteaded a land claim.


Lane County historic building's placement on National Register a credit to UO student

Growing up in the rural countryside of Putnam County, Illinois, Gail Hammerich knew a thing or two about granges. As a child, Hammerich used to visit grange halls for local events such as dances, fairs and other celebrations. However, while taking a historic preservation class at the University of Oregon, Hammerich found that she was one of few historic preservation students who even recognized the word “grange.”